Would you like to get your motor running? Fancy heading out on the highway? Are you looking for adventure, and whatever comes your way? Then you, my friend, need a motorbike. The World of Warcraft bike is called a Mechanohog (for Horde characters) or a Mekgineer’s Chopper (for the Alliance). It’s a proper two-wheeled hog, which can even carry another player as a passenger.
On yer bike!
The Mechanohog/Chopper is craftable only by Engineers, but is not bind-on-pickup so can be sold to other players. Engineers can obtain the recipe from a Horde Expedition Quartermaster (Gara Skullcrush or Sebastian Crane) or an Alliance Vanguard Quartermaster (Logistics Officer Brighton or Logistics Officer Silverstone). Either way, the schematic will cost 400g.
Once you’ve found an Engineer willing to craft the recipe for you, you just need to get hold of the materials.
Zen and the art of motorcycle materials
- 12 Titansteel bars – craftable by Miners, or sold on the Auction House
- 40 Handfuls of Cobalt Bolts – created by Engineers (from Cobalt Bars), or sold on the Auction House
- 2 Artic Furs – obtained by Skinners from certain Northrend mobs, or sold on the Auction House
- 1 Salvaged Iron Golem Parts – sold by Roxi Ramrocket in The Storm Peaks
- 8 Goblin-Machined Pistons – also sold by Roxi Ramrocket
- 1 Elementium-Plated Exhaust Pipe – Roxi Ramrocket, yet again
The cost of a Mechanohog / Mekgineer’s Chopper
Obviously, Roxi Ramrocket is making a killing on these bikes. Half of the components are only sold by Roxi, so you’ll have no choice but to shell out your cash there. The rest of the materials can be obtained through crafting/gathering, but assuming you buy them from the auction house, the approximate cost will be:
- Titansteel bars – 12 @ ~80g per bar = 960g
- Handful of Cobalt Bolts – 40 @ ~5g per handful = 200g
- Artic Fur – 2 @ ~40g per fur = 80g
- Salvaged Iron Golem Parts – 1 @ 3,000g per part = 3,000g
- Goblin-Machined Pistons – 8 @ 1,000g per piston = 8,000g
- Elementium-Plated Exhaust Pipe – 1 @ 1,500g per pipe = 1,500g
That’s a total cost in the region of 13,740g for your awesome bike, plus a tip for the Engineer who crafts it. Nowhere near as much as you can expect to pay out for a Vial of the Sands, but still a sizable amount of money even in today’s Cataclysm economy. Still, look at that bike. It’s worth it.
Do you have one of these sweet rides? Any great tips for getting cheaper materials? Let us know in the comments.Read more →