WoW 5.1 Controversies: Brawler’s Guild, Ore Drop Rates, Stealth Nerfs

by on December 3, 2012

Is WoW 5.1 great? Or is it awful?

We’re hearing both sides of the argument at the moment, on a wide variety of issues. Stealth nerfs to ore drop rates and some classes? Brawler’s Guild? We’ve already covered some of these discussions in our Friday 5.1 roundup – but here’s the latest…

• Saxsy is extremely unhappy about both the ore drop nerf and the apparently huge stealth nerf to Fire mages“The nerf effectively removes thirteen item levels from my equipment. My 486 item level that was one of the best in my raid group’s? Now it’s no better than 473, which is probably someone they could pick up from LookingForGroup or Trade.”
  • Big Bear Butt speaks up about the Brawler’s Guild – and in contrast to Grumpy Elf on Friday, he’s absolutely loving it, and tells us why“Seriously folks, it is exactly how I pictured it. Except, I was having too much fun queueing and cheering people on to leave my desk for another beer.”
  • Big Bear Butt also speaks up on the ore drop rate nerf, and his feelings are dramatically different – he loves it“And now, they’re clearly paying attention to the desires of those who make the Auction House and game economy their playstyle, and despite it meaning it’ll be a teeny bit harder for me to go out and get my own mats when I want them, to me it means the opposite of “Blizzard hates the players”.”
  • And Faris goes over all the changes (although not the stealth nerfs) and gives a point-by-point opinion on each“Since 5.1 came out on Tuesday, I’ve probably spent a good 8-10 hours down in the Brawler’s Guild. Best part? I don’t even have an invitation yet. “

What do you think? Were the ore nerfs warranted? Does the Brawler’s Guild rule?

Jeff O December 3, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I am enjoying 5.1. My biggest complaints are this:

Nerf on amount of Golden Lotus for Spirit of Harmony. I used to get 3 to 1, now it is 2 to 1.

In Mogushan, when attacking the different emperors, I always thought it was intentional that the text said he stole from the rich and gave to the poor, but the narrator said “stole from the poor, and kept everything for himself.” Now the text matches the speech. Boo.

Finally, I did grab a ride to the Shrine of Two Moons, but the Horde fellow said he was taking me to the Seven Shrines (the Alliance place). Small typo, I know, but those things bother me.

I am LOVING Brawler’s Guild. I grabbed a Sunday afternoon invitation for only 13,500 gold.

Saxsy December 3, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Well, truthfully I did not hate the ore nerf. I loved the ore nerf. I had built up a large supply of rare gems and post-5.1 they began to sell at relatively high prices, presumably because other jewelcrafters had no gem supply. I’ve sold about 30k worth of gems since the patch (without any real reason for demand spiking), where before I would be lucky to get 1k a day. Personally it worked out pretty well for me.

The problem is not the ore nerf itself, but what it says about Blizzard. First, that they try to sell it as a change done for the benefit of ore gatherers is just laughable. They’ve screwed them over (although judging from Big Bear Butt’s column, they probably fooled a few people along the way). Plus such a drastic change done in a rather stealthy manner (it was not announced, but rather discovered) gives one little confidence going forward in the stability of the game.

The fire mage hotfix is another example. I raid on Jana, and now she is not viable for raids. They did this change capriciously, without any real idea of what it would do to all of the fire mages out there (except, perhaps, to make them QQ), in a hotfix that hit unexpectedly in the middle of the week.

I have no confidence that the game will be stable anymore, not if they make changes on this scale without testing them.

Saxsy December 5, 2012 at 4:26 am

I should note, though, that after raiding Mogu’shan Vaults my fear as to the impact of the fire mage nerf was unfounded. It was there, and if you dug into my damage reports you could see the lower crit rates and reduced combustion damage. But overall, for whatever reason, my damage stayed about the same. It certainly wasn’t the 20% reduction that I had feared. I’m not sure if they compensated for it in some way, but I couldn’t tell from the logs.

Doing it as a hotfix is still rather shady, though.

Zellviren December 4, 2012 at 6:30 pm

The biggest thing to me was a huge plus; namely, they fixed the spelling of Orgrimmar in the shrine’s portal. Seeing it called “Ogrimmar” was more annoying than I should admit.

shaol December 6, 2012 at 3:28 pm

if it was that bad why did you spell it the same?

Hugh Hancock December 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm