Brawler’s Guild Invitation Controversy: Blogger Reaction Roundup

by on November 9, 2012

The “Brawler’s Guild” feature in WoW Patch 5.1 sounds great, everyone agrees – with just one major drawback. Invitations to the Guild will be a matter of being the richest player – as they’re being sold on the Black Market Auction House.

A lot of bloggers are reacting to this news – some of them think it’s an awful idea, whilst others believe everything will be OK…

• Blizzard themselves have responded to the building controversy, and Olivia Grace gives us commentary on their response” It felt so wrong that an achievement like that should be associated with gold. But their explanation of the lack of instancing just doesn’t seem to fly.”
  • Big Bear Butt has an alternative suggestion for how Brawler’s Guild invitations might be limited – and frankly, it sounds much better“Humanoid NPCs that may be out in the world. If they were invited to come to the brawlers Guild but hadn’t traveled there yet, wouldn’t that make them challenging, powerful, deadly opponents in possession of an invitation when looted?”
  • The Godmother lays out her concerns with the invitation system, and just why she believes tying the invites to gold is a disasterous idea“I hate to break it to you, but there are people with enough money and clout on servers to make exactly what you’re saying a reality. I’m also betting these people won’t simply capitalise on this, they’ll exploit it to the absolute max. “
  • 15 Minutes of WoW goes against the general tide of discussion, saying that the invitation system will only be a problem very briefly” It is unlikely that anyone who cares about gaining access will have to wait more than a week or two, if that long. With this rapid accessibility, the cost of the actual purchased access will plummet in mere days”
  • And The Grumpy Elf loves the idea of the Brawler’s Guild, but is even more grumpy than usual about its implementation” In a mmo you should never have something that you need to form a line to do. It is not in the spirit of multi player games.”

From the point of view of a skilled Auction House player, I’m STILL not very convinced by this plan. Big Bear Butt’s idea of giving the invitations to challenging NPCs seems like a much better way to limit invitations whilst keeping the feel of the Guild consistent.

What do you think? Storm in a teacup or disaster waiting to happen?

Askevar November 9, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I think that for most servers, the likelihood is that it will trickle down and fairly quickly. However, even one server having the invitations dominated by an individual or a few individuals is not cool. And the implementation itself just isn’t cool.

Before they nerfed gold drops in raids, I soloed a lot of them – for fun, money, achievements, transmog, etc. I think that having a shot at an invitation or perhaps some “proof of kill” that leads to one off soloed raid bosses might be a viable method of entry. Obviously it wouldn’t be a 100% rate, but the Brawler’s guild is solo content…. so a solo method of attaining it makes sense. And this isn’t my idea – someone else came up with it [I've read so much on this across the web that I cannot remember who it was that suggested it]. Perhaps the higher the raid/content, the better chance you have? Or the more raid bosses you kill solo and DON’T get it, the better your chance gets?

I know that some players would have more limitations than others given this. It’s a lot easier for me to solo content as a blood DK than say a priest might have, but eh…

Ben Sanders November 10, 2012 at 12:47 am

It seems like a fantastic way of gating content; it probably will not take too long for people to get in if they want it, and the price will probably go down dramatically over time.

Shintar November 10, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I have to admit I’m kind of baffled by all the negative reactions to this. The way I understand it, there’ll be an unlimited supply of these invitations and as time goes by they’ll only become cheaper and maybe even free. People just won’t be able to get in all at once… and that is apparently terrible? I liked Rohan’s comparison to Gmail invites.

Jeff O November 29, 2012 at 6:16 pm

It should certainly come from an achievement. Take the time to kill every silver creature in MOP (achievement Glorious) and you should get an invite. Slaying all of them proves you can battle, and it seems like a worthy reward.

Tying it to bidding in an auction house means people know about the Brawlers Guild, which they shouldn’t really know about.

Anonymous December 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm

A bit late to the party, but controversy? It’s just impatience. I was doing (yet another) round of killing the 3 alliance ‘rare’ spawns for Domination Point reputation last night, and the guild invite dropped from one. It doesn’t *require* gold. You just need to either a) do a bit of grinding or b) wait for the trickle-down effect from players that have found or bought the invite themselves. Pretty sure I have a bunch of guildies that are going to be happy to see free invites when I get home from work tonight.

mischeal December 23, 2012 at 5:27 am

i think this might be a disaster because i have a son that plays hes only 12 and he may get sad if he cant get an invite they should just add free ones from a quest/raid

mike chambers December 23, 2012 at 5:30 am

i agree with mischeal she has a great idea about it my son is 13 and he just got a 90 character and he is really frustrated about getting a brawlers invite and i think maybe they should add it in an acheivment/quest or raid my son is getting really frustrated

Parchet laminat March 13, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Right here is the perfect website for anyone who wishes to find out about this topic.
You understand so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa).
You certainly put a brand new spin on a topic which has been written about for many years.
Excellent stuff, just wonderful!