The Dailies Time-Bomb Explodes

by on October 18, 2012

In amidst all the joy about Mists of Pandaria – and there’s a lot of joy – one issue has been quietly festering away. And judging from today’s blog posts, it may have just exploded.

That issue? Dailies, and daily chores for raiders. Mists of Pandaria has the heaviest burden ever in terms of non-raiding chores for serious raiders, and the discontent over that fact has been growing since Day 1 of the expansion.

With 3 posts focusing on the Daily Grind today and another three MoP summaries significantly featuring it, it seems the rage over make-work might have boiled over:

• Flosch looks at the way too many required tasks can turn an entire game from a series of fun choices to a strict list of either “compulsory” or “forbidden” activities“When it is hard or impossible to complete all the compulsory tasks, everything not compulsory becomes in effect prohibited, because it takes up valuable time that should be used otherwise. Voilà, your internalized totalitarian game mini-regime: the game tells you what to do, and you do exactly that and only that.”
  • Stubborn looks at the necessary evil of dailies, and asks how we’ll be feeling about them in a year’s time” How many of us go back and do BC or Wrath dailies? If they were such a good invention, then a majority of players would continue to do them regardless of reward simply because they were entertaining. I’ve been recently to the Argent Tourney grounds to buy a pet with some old badges I had. The only sound was crickets.”
  • Rohan looks at the raiding folks in a short post from the perspective of a non-raider“And yet, have they succeeded? I don’t think so. Judging by the blogs in my reader, the higher-end raiders can’t pace themselves, and look to be burning out.”
  • Stormy sums up his experience of MoP so far, looking at the zones, sexism, and, yes, the Daily Grind“Most of the problem with dailies comes from a disconnect between the way Blizzard intended the dailies to be run, and the unbreakable mentality among the raiding set that all the faction reps and all the raids MUST BE DONE RIGHT NAO NAO NAO. “
  • Vidyala also sums up her MoP experience, praising many good things, but focusing on dailies as chief amongst the bad problems” Yesterday I was talking to Voss about this and I exclaimed suddenly, “I’ve made food in REAL LIFE that took less work than this!” I’m not even kidding. With the 300 stat food requiring x amount of vegetables, one fish, one meat, and one Ironpaw token, it’s a little ludicrous.”
  • And Beruthiel is getting steadily more frustrated with the daily grind amongst other things, saying she’d actually prefer the grind of Vanilla WoW raiding“The other thing that completely chaps my hide is that if I want to cap my valor points each week, I am required to spend more time outside of raids than I do in raids to do so.”

I’m not raiding this tier, and I must admit I’m rather glad of that fact. The grind does seem to have gotten out of control. I wonder if Blizzard will decide to alter it, or if they’re going to risk raiders burning out to preserve the game’s longevity?

How are you finding the WoW Dailies Experience?

Jacques Straw October 18, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Reading some of the posts linked above got me thinking back to the rehash of the ‘attunements’ argument that the community got into a few months back.

What I really want to know is why an ‘attunement’ is bad, yet a system that forces me to grind rep with multiple factions and grind heroics for weeks to get the valor points to buy the gear to make me raid-ready is any better? At least the long, epic attunement quests of yore were interesting and unique. Killing a different selection of 10 foozles or gathering a dozen widgets for the various factions every day has more or less the same purpose but without the novelty.

I’ve got my main at 90 and have been playing on average 2 hours a day for the last 10 days or so and I’m barely at the point where I can queue for raid finder (at 459 iLevel). I’m hoping I get to the part where I can raid before my frustration with this repetition makes me want to quit…

Znuff October 19, 2012 at 1:11 am

People are kind of over-reacting. Don’t get me wrong: I hate dailies with a passion, but, thing is, last night I’ve finished getting Klaxxi to exalted. Tomorrow I’m done with Golden Lotus and probably next week I will be done with Shado-Pan and August Celestials (Shado-Pan first, most likely).

On the other hand, I have stashed over 1000x Lesser Charms, so after I’m done I won’t have any need for doing dailies anymore for at least the duration of this patch. 5.1 will most likely bring the PvP faction, which I doubt will interested me the least.

Sure, it’s been an annoying bumpy ride, but I take comfort in knowing that in 2 weeks tops all I’ll have to do is to get my head around the pet battle system if I’m /that/ bored.

Ama October 19, 2012 at 4:12 am

I agree. These dailies are killing the game for me. My raid group is extremely undergeared b/c only a few of us will do dailies(not me). My favorite part of this game was that I could play with friends. Now I cant do that. I have a couple hours a day I can play and I dont want to spend it doing chores.

Filip October 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm

If you see a game as a chore, then honey you have a problem and should probably find a new past time.

I really can’t stand the whining around the dailies. What people are basically saying is: I don’t have any internal mechanisms or organising skills to meaningfully do dailies and I am a spoiled brat who wants an epic in all slots right now! If there was still the daily limit in place, there would be no problems. Well guess what kids? This only means that the daily limit now is subjective. If you find yourself burned out after doing 15 quests then that’s your daily limit. If you wanna puke after 25, then that’s yours. No one is forcing you to do all the dailies. And if you feel forced to do it by someone/something you really should do some re-evaluation of how you spend your time.

Hugh Hancock October 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Whilst I can see your point, I think that you’re somewhat ignoring the effects of the competitive side of raiding.

If you’re a hardcore raider interested in Server Firsts, that can be a very healthy, positive hobby – but with the new dailies setup, the maximum amount of time that a hardcore raider can productively spend improving their chances has gone up dramatically. That in turn means that if you’re on a server with a guild that is willing to put that time in – perhaps because of their lifestyles affording them that time – you’ve got a very difficult decision to make.

Do you put in the time or do you not?

Under that circumstance, it’s not as easy as just saying “I’ve got willpower so I won’t do dailies”. Willpower isn’t the issue. Remaining competitive in an e-sport you enjoy, not letting down people you respect (your fellow guild mates) and potentially, losing a hobby you get a lot of value from are the issues.

Filip October 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Roughly speaking, there is only a handful of guilds out there who could really qualify as being part of an e-sport. Rest are wannabes. Maybe this is reality check.

Hugh Hancock October 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm

What would you say qualifies a guild to be “part of” an e-sport, then?

Filip October 22, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Demigods who have opportunity to play 24/7. I’m sorry but for the rest of us, there will be trade offs.

Hugh Hancock October 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I think we may have a different definition of E-Sport here. I wouldn’t say you have to be professional-level to qualify as someone who plays a sport, wheras you seem to be arguing that if you’re not top-level, you don’t qualify as being involved in anything in particular.

To give an example – I’m not about to become Heavyweight Champion of the UFC any time soon. Indeed, I’m really not very good compared to any semi-pro fighter. However, I’ve enjoyed training in Mixed Martial Arts, and I’d say I was someone who has been active in that sport.

In the same vein, if you’re a serious raider with, say, a chance at server firsts on Hardcore modes, I’d say you were active in the E-Sport of WoW raiding, despite the fact that you’re not part of Paragon.

That’s the context I was talking about above. Difficult choices in your hobby or sport of choice don’t begin at world-class level – I’ve still had to make hard choices about how much I trained in MMA, for example, and likewise if I was an active hardcore raider I’d be facing some difficult choices in that right now.