Running World Of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria under Linux / WINE: Fixing Agent.exe failed and other update errors

by on September 26, 2012

For Linux users, using WINE to upgrade World of Warcraft after the release of Mists of Pandaria has proven a bit tricky. If your update is crashing, you’re having problems with DNSAPI.DLL, or you’re hitting the dreaded ‘Agent.exe failed‘ message, don’t worry: here at MMO Melting Pot we’ve compiled a series of tweaks, fixes and solutions to get you up and running again.

Last updated: 26th September 2012 for Mists of Pandaria

If your installation isn’t playing ball, try the following steps, in order:

Step 1: Consider reinstalling from scratch

A fresh installation of WoW is often a good idea when a new expansion is released. If you have the time and the bandwidth, consider reinstalling World of Warcraft completely. By far the best way to do so is by using the online installer. You can download the installer from your Battle.net page. Then, just run wine World-of-Warcraft-Setup-enUS.exe (substituting the correct name of the installer if yours is different, obviously).

If you’d rather not go through the hassle of a complete reinstall, keep reading for a few tricks that might save your bacon (and your bandwidth).

Step 2: Rename your configuration folders

The chances are good that the configuration folders automatically created by the Blizzard downloader are not working correctly for your installation. Luckilly, if the download can’t find these files it will recreate them automatically. So, let’s deliberately remove these files, to force the downloader to recreate them.

Rather than permanently deleting the files, we’re going to just rename them – that way, we can always put them back later if we need to. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open a file browser (use Nautilus, or whatever file browser you normally use).
  2. Navigate to your Home directory (/home/<<your username>>/).
  3. Press ‘Ctrl+H‘, or choose ‘Show hidden files’ from the View menu.

You’ll now be able to see all the ‘hidden’ files and hidden directories in your home directory – those are the files whose name starts with a period (.).

4. The directory you’re looking for is called .wine. Once you find it, double-click it to open it.
  5. Navigate to ~/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application Data/.1

You’ll see a directory called Battle.net and a directory called Blizzard Entertainment. Don’t worry about any other directories – they’ve just been created by other programs you’ve run under WINE.

6. Rename Battle.net to Battle.net.Cataclysm. Rename Blizzard Entertainment to Blizzard Entertainment.Cataclysm.2 Don’t close the file browser just yet.

Step 3: Run Wow.exe and watch it crash

1. Now open a Terminal, and run
    wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/Wow.exe.3

The WoW updater will open, start to download something, and then after a short while it will crash. Don’t worry: this is what we actually want to happen at this stage.

2. Check the Terminal from which you launched WoW. The Launcher will have printed a whole bunch of information and error messages. You can ignore most of it: the specific line we’re interested in will look something like this:

err:module:import_dll Library DNSAPI.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\users\\Public\\Application Data\\Battle.net\\Agent\\Agent.1363\\Agent.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\users\\Public\\Application Data\\Battle.net\\Agent\\Agent.1363\\Agent.exe" failed, status c0000135

Ugly, huh? The important bit is the Agent.1363. Your error message might well contain a different number than 1363. Whatever the number, take a note of it: we’ll need it soon.

3. No Warcraft-related programs should be running right now, but just to be sure, let’s manually run commands to stop them. In your Terminal, type the following commands one after the other:

killall Agent.exe
    killall Wow.exe
    killall Launcher.exe

4. In your file browser, check that the directories Battle.net and Blizzard Entertainment have been recreated.

Step 4: Fix DNSAPI.dll

1. Run the WINE configuration utility, either by clicking Configure Wine in your applications menu, or by running winecfg from a terminal.
  2. Click the Libraries tab.
  3. Click the drop-down list under ‘New overrides for library:’, and choose ‘dnsapi.dll.
  4. Click ‘Add’.
  5. Cick ‘Edit’, and change the Load Order to ‘Builtin (Wine)’.
  6. Click ‘OK’, then click ‘OK’ again to close the WINE configuration utility.

Step 5: Profit! Run Agent.exe with a special flag

We’re almost done.

1. Back in your Terminal, run the following command (you’ll need the number you noted down earlier):

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application\ Data/Battle.net/Agent/Agent.<<your number>>/Agent.exe --nohttpauth &
    Note, that’s two dashes (–) before nohttpauth.

2. Wait a few seconds, just to make sure the Agent.exe tool has had a chance to kick in. Don’t worry about the text being printed to your Terminal.
  3. Run
    wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/Wow.exe.3

The World of Warcraft updater will launch again, but this time it won’t crash! Once it’s downloaded the update, the proper WoW Launcher will open and will start to download the new patch. Once it’s done, congratulations: you’re ready to play!

Troubleshooting

I’ve got the Launcher working, but it won’t download anything!

WINE can sometimes have trouble with the peer-to-peer technology used by the Launcher. Try disabling Peer-to-Peer transfers. You’ll find it in the Launcher, under Options > Downloader Preferences > Enable Peer-to-Peer Transfer.

I’m on a 64-bit system, and WoW runs really slowly / times out constantly

Try forcing WINE to run WoW in 32-bit compatibility mode. Use the following command:

setarch i386 -3 -L -B -R wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/Wow.exe

I’ve got a decent graphics card, but WoW runs slower than I’d expect

Try forcing WoW to run in OpenGL mode. Just append --opengl to the end of the command, like this:

~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/Wow.exe --opengl

I have a different problem, which is not covered by your useless so-called Troubleshooting section!

Make a comment on this post. I’ll try to help you out if I can. Alternatively, have a read through the World of Warcraft entry on WINE’s AppDB site. There’s some pretty good tips on there.

Credits

The information in this post has been compiled from the expert knowledge of the MMO Melting Pot staff, along with tips and tricks shared online by many WINE-using Warcraft players, particularly the great community at WINE’s AppDB site.

1 If your installation is in a different location than .wine (if you’re using a different wine prefix, or you’re running Vineyard or Crossover or PlayOnLinux, or you just like being awkward), navigate to that directory instead.
2 You can choose any name you like here – the .Cataclysm suffix is just what I choose.
3 Or whatever command you normally use to run WoW.

Have you spotted a mistake? Did the tips in this article work for you? Do you have any tips to share with other Linux users? Let us know in the comments!

If you enjoyed this article, check out our other posts from these categories: Archives,World of Warcraft

Ambleston Dack September 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm

For me, I simply upgraded to the latest unstable version of wine, 1.5.13, in Ubuntu 12.04 and it installed flawlessly. I found that OpenGL was a lot slower than that of DX9 for my GFX card a 1GB GeForce 9800GT.

Johnnie Ingram September 27, 2012 at 8:27 pm

You’ve been lucky then, I think. I’m running 1.5.13 under Mint 13, and the whole process was a nightmare. I think I hit virtually every idiocyncracy and bug going (hence this post).

DX9 is definitely a better bet if you can get it going. I’d only recommend OpenGL for people who were having graphical glitches or slowdowns – for certain combinations of hardware, OpenGL actually does give a better result. Luckily, it’s easy to switch between the two so you can always try both and see which works best.

Angel November 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Yes! Thank you so much for an excellent post! This got me up and WoWing again with the update Blizz just pushed.

A couple of notes:

- I did this with wine 1.4. wine 1.3 will die with missing err:module:import_dll.GetExtendedTcpTable implementation complaints
- The crashed out installer recreated the Battle.net directory, but not the “Blizzard Entertainment” directory. The “Blizzard Entertainment” directory wasn’t reacreated until after I finsihed the update and started the game.
- I wasn’t able to find the err:module:import_dll error at all. Sorry, that’s not very helpful without the error I did receive, but I don’t have it on my screen anymore. I took a punt on Agent.1363, as the other was 1040 so I picked the larger number. What does this number mean?

Max B December 8, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Johnnie, I should get back to the game, I’m so rusty I sweak! Great post very encouraging.

Chris December 13, 2012 at 1:51 am

So, the only difference between my install and what you describe is that I didn’t add the dnsapi.dll bit. I added that and restarted the proper Agent.exe (1040 in my case), gave it a few seconds and then launched “Word of Warcraft Launcher.exe”, it loads, but the launcher does nothing, everything is greyed out and and to the left of the Play button it says Updating Tools (0%) and just sits there doing nothing. On the console, I see this repeated over and over again…

Response: 200
{
“update” : {},
“install” : {},
“backfill” : {},
“pid” : 64.000000,
“state” : 1001.000000,
“version” : “1.0.0.1040″,
“type” : “retail”,
“authorization” : “DA331EEB8892FF882E6D4B4F1A26EB52″
}

Stressabbauer December 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Hi,
i`ve just startet using ubuntu and wanted to install WOW with the official installer. But when i start it with wine, it doesnt continue when i says (translated from german) “Looking for updates….”. I`ve already tried to open the ports wow normaly uses on my router and to rename the Battle.net directory to ….Cataclysm, but it still doesnt work. Can someone help me?
Thanks already,
Stressabbauer

P.S.: Sry for bad english.

Stressabbauer December 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Edit: I forgot something: after renaming Battle.net to Battle.net.Cataclysm it succsesfuly updatet but after about 3 sec, it sayd (translated from german) “blizzard update agent is getting updatet” and didn`t continue from here.

Thank’s again,
Stressabbauer.

Angel December 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Whenever Blizzard’s downloader needs to do anything, I always have to start Agent.exe with the special –nohttpauth flag beforehand. It seems incapable of doing this itself. Has Agent.exe been created in the Battle.net directory by the time it gets stuck? If it has, I’d try killing the installer, running Agent.exe, then starting the installer again.

How long have you left it alone for? On Windows, the “checking for launcher update” dialog box is there for less than a second, but under wine it took a long time – more than half an hour I think, and the status bar completely failed to help.

Might be a good idea to have a look at the log messages wine spews out — if you can see a repeating pattern of failure then that might be useful in spotting the problem.
Or if the messages aren’t repetitive, it’ll give some reassurance that the installer is still doing something. If you did

WINEDEBUG=warn+all wine /path/to/installer.exe

(from http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/x543#AEN545)

then you’d definitely be able to tell if the install was progressing or not. Enabling logging on will slow it all down quite a lot though, so bear that in mind. You could rebuild wine from source with this patch to toggle logging: http://wiki.winehq.org/Debug_trace_toggle_key.

Just some thoughts — since I haven’t tried this myself I’m not sure if that’s any help.

Stressabbauer December 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm

It seems to work thanks a lot.

Indoorweeds December 26, 2012 at 3:37 am

I’m trying to install from scratch using the game client but the World of Warcraft Setup dialog just hangs at zero. I get a whole lot of this:

fixme:iphlpapi:GetExtendedTcpTable ulAf = 2, TableClass = 5 not supportted
fixme:process:GetLogicalProcessorInformation (0x12fe368,0x12fe968): stub
fixme:process:GetLogicalProcessorInformation (0x11ee334,0x11ee934): stub
fixme:process:GetLogicalProcessorInformation (0x11ee304,0x11ee904): stub
fixme:wininet:CommitUrlCacheEntryInternal entry already in cache – don’t know what to do!

And some of this…

Handle Event: “shutdown event”
Handle Event: “auth validation event”
Agent is shutting down
err:wininet:open_http_connection create_netconn failed: 10036
fixme:process:GetLogicalProcessorInformation (0x11ee334,0x11ee934): stub
fixme:process:GetLogicalProcessorInformation (0x11ee304,0x11ee904): stub
Firing Event: “database flush event”
Database Remove: /option
Database Remove: /agent
Queue ‘download’ Resource for delete
Deferred delete of ‘download’ Resource
Database Remove: /
Deferred delete of ‘download’ Resource completed
Database Remove: /register

[...]

I imagine it’s something relatively simple since I’m new to both Wine (1.4 in this case) and Ubuntu (running Kubuntu 12.04). Do I need to update something or do I need to mess around with my firewall settings?

Angel December 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I saw most of those messages a lot when I was using wine 1.4, but didn’t really have any major problems. Still, it might be worth trying 1.5 – does seem to work better.

This though:
Handle Event: “auth validation event”
Agent is shutting down

It looks like the usual story of Agent.exe not working properly. For a clean install I think the steps are:
– Start the installer. Wait for it to hang or crash. Kill the installer
– Go looking in ~/.wine/drive_c/users/Application\ Data/Battle.net for Agent.exe
– Start it with wine /path/to/Agent.exe –nohttpauth &
– Try the installer again

If Agent.exe hasn’t been created yet then I’m afraid I have no idea.

Michael January 3, 2013 at 2:54 am

I was able to get it working under wine1.5 (Jan 1, 2012 — Mists of Pandara) simply by installing Visual C++ Runtime 2008 via winetricks:

$ winetricks vcrun2008

Then I downloaded the setup from battle.net and invoked the setup via wine _FROM THE COMMAND LINE_:

$ wine World-of-Warcraft-Setup-enUS.exe

And it was very important that I did so, because the graphical interface showing download statistics froze on me — but the statistics flying by on the terminal that I invoked it from showed that the download was working… If I had invoked it from Nautilus and I didn’t see that text flying by in the background, I would have been tempted to shut the setup down after the first hour or two of it downloading 20.6G (or so) of files.

So, when the notifications showed that it was done with the download, I just closed the setup, made certain that my account was set up, then went down into my wow directory and invoked the launcher

$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/World\ of\ Warcraft/
$ wine World\ of\ Warcraft\ Launcher.exe

It opened up fine, finished the update, and brought me into WoW just fine…

And, I was simply amazed at the experience that Wine now provides — it seems to me to be absolutely flawless! There was absolutely no loss of experience compared to running the game from Windows. Frame-rates were every bit as good or better than I remember from the windows experience (granted, it’s been several years since I’ve played & then on an older CPU). I tried Balder’s Gate & Neverwinter Nights a couple years back on wine, and the experience was much different and much, much slower. Anyway, at least for this game, this is truly a wonderful improvement and an amazing achievement! I am truly extatic and amazed at the accomplishment of the wine hacker community!

twelve dogs February 12, 2013 at 9:48 am

thanks man, this is really handy info, used it to get sc2 going

Angotull February 24, 2013 at 11:10 am

This has got me mad already. After the harddrive crashed, I obtained another and reinstalled kdemint and my last backup of WOW. Now, the launcher hangs as above. However, when I run the agent with the –nohttpauth option, the launcher goes back to vanilla launcher screen with a large install button. Clicking install results in an error that says the content to install doesnt exist. Im stuck between the 2 problems and our caps in this country are so terrible that I could JUST barely install the client over 2 months.

Would love some guidance.

Thanks

fall drink recipes June 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Greetings! I’ve been reading your blog for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the great work!

Earthenware August 4, 2013 at 5:08 pm

My PC blew up so I’m having to use an old laptop until it’s fixed. It’s running Linux Lite (based on Ubuntu).

The laptop is six years old.

I was getting 8-10 FPS in quiet areas and the sound drivers were taking 40% CPU. Laptop was running at 100% all the time and getting HOT.

After making your DNSAPI.DLL fix I get 23FPS and 40% CPU.

Thanks so much!

environmental issues articles September 13, 2013 at 3:44 am

Most people have a basal metabolic rate during periods of increased physical
or mental activities.

Visit This Site September 13, 2013 at 5:11 am

We stumbled over here by a different web address and thought I may as well check things out.
I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to
exploring your web page again.

seasonal allergies September 13, 2013 at 7:33 am

They must be extracted from the green coffee bean products
beauty tips for face really work. What are the Benefits of using the extract capsules, and I
highly recommend you do, make sure to stay away from those
that don’t. Fitness fads and potential weight-loss aids come in and out of favour with
such speed that it is not difficult to put things together and find the truth.

spiritual emotional freedom technique September 14, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to return the choose?.I
am attempting to in finding things to enhance my site!I guess its ok to make use of some of
your concepts!!

pit 28 jak rozliczyć September 19, 2013 at 11:25 am

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this article
plus the rest of the site is very good.|

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hampshire October 16, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Some of the sounds that you may hear during thhe
screening will bbe very faint and you may wonder whether you heard anything at all.

A local myth believes that New Forerst ponies are descended fro Spanish Horses that survived thhe numerous shipwrecks during the
time oof the Spanish Armada. Imagine tthe sentiments
of the family attached with the situatioon when any one
in a famjily dies.

Vania December 6, 2013 at 1:30 am

What’s up to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this
web site, and your views are pleasant in favor of new users.

"flights cheap bangkok" December 21, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Ahaa, its fastidious dialogue concerning this piece of writing at this
place at this webpage, I have read all that, so now me also commenting at
this place.

cheats in dragonvale December 25, 2013 at 10:05 pm

What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered
It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads. I am hoping to
give a contribution & aid other users like its aided me.
Great job.

sharecash bypass December 28, 2013 at 6:31 am

My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog.
He was once entirely right. This post truly made my day.

You cann’t consider just how a lot time I had spent for this information!

Thank you!

Castleville Castle January 3, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Nice replies in return of this issue with firm arguments and telling
everything about that.

Maurine January 8, 2014 at 2:30 am

Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo
News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem
to get there! Thank you

Iman Oldgeek January 11, 2014 at 8:29 pm

WoW is the ONE program keeping me from dropping out of the Windows world entirely. Unfortunately, the very peak of performance I have achieved with WoW running on Wine is 35fps in the woods, standing still with nothing going on. I start to move and framerate dies. 1-2fps. OpenGL enabled. Hardware specs good enough for 60fps in Windows running WoW on “good” settings @ 1920×1080. My computer isn’t a Ferrari, but it also isn’t a Yugo.

AMD x64-4400+ (2.2GHz dual processor), 4GB RAM, 7200 RPM Sata HDs, nVidia GT240 with 512MB RAM, using proprietary drivers.

Have tried with Ubuntu, Mint, Mandriva. PCLOS, and a few others I can’t recall at the moment. My official opinion is that WoW will never work for me using Linux, so I guess I will have Windows installed on that computer until I get tired of playing. It’s a shame; I am so ready to say goodbye to Microsoft :(

Www.ghiboo.com January 13, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Other important benefits of a dedicated server include speedy delivery of web pages, flexibility of upgrading software and adding patches among others.
The space and bandwidth they offer are ideal for any personal site or starting business.

It is strictly recommended for Hostgator consumers
to take the data backup everyday on their local machine to be at
safer side.

Johnnieqhkp.wordpress.com March 19, 2014 at 6:32 am

Quality Suites Orlando, eazrth is warm and the heaven welcoming.
Oter alluring aspects of the marinme world that will both amaze and
enthral you, but would also do the procedureswithout any
pain whatsoever. Thee best thing about the service provider offering upholstery cleaning Orlqndo fl is that they are only a good thing.

They aare a great way to experience the blend of both thrilpl and
relaxation. Orlando iss one of the three or five star hotels, five star hotels in Orlando are child-friendly.

Rombus April 6, 2014 at 2:43 am

Sweet, got Quake live and WOW running with this

homeruwta.hazblog.com April 16, 2014 at 8:18 am

When someone writes an article he/she maintains the thought of a
user in his/her brain that how a user can understand it.
Thus that’s why this piece of writing is outstdanding. Thanks!

online marketing strategy April 17, 2014 at 7:34 pm

It’s hard to come by knowledgeable people on this topic, but you
seem like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks