WoW Patch [patchnumber] has hit, and that means that us Retri Paladins get to hit Garrosh. All good so far. So, let’s get you up to speed with your stat weights, reforging and gemming, talents, glyphs, and AOE and single-target rotations in MoP, so you can get out into that brave new world and hit it with a big hammer as quickly as possible!
Updated [guideupdated] to WoW Patch [patchnumber]
Retribution Paladin Changes in Patch [patchnumber]
No big changes apart from Seal of Righteousness now being less useful.
Retribution “Rotation” and Priorities in MoP
Retribution Paladins have a subtly different rotation than in Cataclysm – it’s the same abilities, but in a different order.
Single-target DPS as Retribution
Follow this priority order for abilities:
- Top Priority: If Inquisition is about to drop or is not active, and you have Holy Power, cast Inquisition. If not, and if you have 5 Holy Power, cast Templar’s Verdict.
- Second Priority: If Execution Sentence or Hammer of Wrath are available, cast them, in that order if several are available.
- Third Priority: If Crusader Strike is available, cast it. If not, if Judgement is available, cast it.
- Fourth Priority: Cast Exorcism if available. If you have 3 Holy Power, cast Templar’s Verdict.
Note: Templar’s Verdict is in your priority tree twice! If you have 5 Holy Power it’s top priority after Inquisition – it’s lowest priority if you have 3 HP.
AOE DPS as Retribution
For two or more targets, replace Templar’s Verdict with Divine Storm, and replace Crusader Strike with Hammer of the Righteous. Keep switching between targets.
- Avenging Wrath and Guardian of Ancient Kings should both be used as often as possible. Ideally, use Guardian of Ancient Kings 10 seconds before Avenging Wrath.
- Devotion Aura should be used in a dungeon when everyone’s taking heavy damage, and in a raid as directed by your raid leader.
- Divine Shield and Divine Protection are powerful defensive cooldowns. Use them if you’re getting the crap kicked out of you by something!
- Lay On Hands – a supremely powerful survival ability. I normally have it macroed to a mouse-button click on raid frames. Useful to get yourself or a party member out of a scrape.
Use Blessing of Might or Blessing of Kings, whichever will stack with the other buffs in your party. If you have the choice of either, go for Blessing of Might.
Use Seal of Truth.
Retribution Paladin Talent Choices
Talent choices in Wow 5.x are intended to be flexible, and we encourage you to experiment with them – but here’s a good all-purpose loadout:
- Tier 1: Pursuit of Justice
- Tier 2: Repentance – a decent crowd control spell.
- Tier 3: Sacred Shield – useful shielding for yourself or others.
- Tier 4: Unbreakable Spirit
- Tier 5: Sanctified Wrath
- Tier 6: Execution Sentence – another DPS cooldown. Use whenever possible.
Stats, reforging and gemming for Retribution Paladin
Strength, Hit and Expertise are our strongest three stats. Beyond that, Haste is our strongest secondary stat, then Mastery, then Crit
Note: because MoP gems give twice as much of secondary stats as they do primary stats, that actually means Haste becomes effectively our best stat for gemming.
Reforging: Reforge for Hit and Expertise of 7.5% (2550) each, then reforge to Haste. Reforge out of excess Hit and Expertise first, then Crit and Mastery.
Gems: Use Fierce (Strength /Haste) gems in Red sockets, Quick (Haste) gems in Yellow sockets and Lightning (Haste / Hit) in Blue sockets.
Meta Gem: Reverberating meta gem.
Ret Pallie Glyphs
Retribution Paladin glyphs in [patchnumber] are particularly situational – but here’s one good all-rounder setup:
Major: Glyph of Templar’s Verdict, Glyph of Double Jeopardy, Glyph of Mass Exorcism
Minor: Your choice! Glyph of Righteous Retreat is fun for annoying gankers.
Retribution Paladin enchants and item enhancements
You should almost always use a profession enhancement item if it provides appropriate stats instead of a general enchant.
- Shoulder – Greater Tiger Fang Inscription
- Back – Enchant Cloak – Accuracy or Enchant Cloak – Superior Critical Strike
- Chest – Glorious Stats
- Bracers – Enchant Bracers – Exceptional Strength
- Gloves – Enchant Gloves – Super Strength
- Wrist – Enchant Bracers – Exceptional Strength
- Belt – Living Steel Belt Buckle
- Legs – Angerhide Leg Armor
- Feet – Enchant Boots – Greater Precision or Enchant Boots – Greater Haste
- Weapon – Enchant Weapon – Dancing Steel
There’s a lot of good info out there for Ret players – here is a suggestion for more in-depth information:
- Dan Desmond’s The Light And How To Swing It at WoW Insider is always worth reading for Ret paladins.
- Icy Veins have a great Retri Paladin guide
- Finally, as a WoW player, you should really check out the latest and greatest from the blogosphere on World of Warcraft, here at the Melting Pot.
If you’ve found this article useful, please consider sharing it using the buttons below!