Are you leaping around batting at the new patch notes with your paws in a confused fashion? Don’t worry – we’re here to help feral druids out in this brave new world of black-and-white bears, and get you up and clawing at Garrosh ASAP.. So, read on, and we’ll get you sorted with your talent build, glyphs, rotation, reforging, stats and gems in MoP / Wow Patch 5.4.
Updated 17th September 2013 to WoW Patch 5.4
Feral Druid changes in WoW Patch 5.4
We’ve had a damage buff. Not much else has changed.
Feral “Rotation” and Priorities
As always, Feral DPS druids play a lot like rogues, combo points and all. If you’ve not played Feral for a while, though, you’ll be relieved to hear our MoP rotation is less hideously complex than it has been in the past.
In summary, we build combo points with Shred (ideally) or Mangle if we can’t be behind the target, then spend them to maintain Savage Roar (bonus damage) and Rip (bleed). We also keep a Rake bleed up.
Always open with Faerie Fire Feral on a new target, and if you can, Wild Charge. Then, in order:
- Top Priority: If you have any combo points and Rip or Savage Roar are not running, use Rip or Savage Roar.
- Second Priority: If you have five combo points, use Rip or Savage Roar, whichever will run out first.
- Third Priority: If Rake is about to drop, use Rake. Otherwise, use Shred if you can be behind the target. If you can’t, use Mangle.
Once the target gets below 25%, use Ferocious Bite instead of Rip.
Feral Druid DPS can get more complicated than this, but these guidelines will serve you pretty well.
On 3 or more mobs, keep Savage Roar up, use Thrash to keep its bleed running, and otherwise spam Swipe.
- Use Berserk and Tiger’s Fury whenever they cool down. Try to use Berserk immediately after Tiger’s Fury, and while on low energy.
- Make sure to have Rebirth bound for a combat res!
- Don’t forget Barkskin if something’s attacking you.
Remember to cast Mark of the Wild for the party or raid! Cast Symbiosis on a tank if there’s a tank without it – otherwise, cast it on a Shadow Priest.
If no-one else is providing a Weakened Armour debuff, keep Fairie Fire up on the target.
Also, check you’re in Cat form. Seriously. Hitting things with your stick doesn’t do much damage.
Feral Druid Talent Choices
A lot of talent choice is meant to be situational – but here’s a good general-purpose build.
- Tier 1: Feline Swiftness
- Tier 2: Ysera’s Gift
- Tier 3: Typhoon (or “meh, whichever”)
- Tier 4: Soul of the Forest
- Tier 5: Mighty Bash.
- Tier 6: Heart of the Wild – mostly for the passive buff.
Stats, reforging and gemming for Feral Druid
Agility is our most important stat. After that, reforge for Mastery, then Hit / Expertise to cap.
Reforging: Reforge to Mastery. Reforge from Hit or Expertise above the 7.5% cap (2550), then from Haste or Crit Strike.
Gems: Use a Delicate gem in all sockets unless the socket bonus is Agi. In that case, use a combo gem for Haste, Mastery or Crit Strike (or Hit or Expertise if you’re below cap).
Meta Gem: Agile meta gem.
Cat Druid Glyphs
Major: Glyph of Savagery is the only vital one. Glyph of Cat Form is also good. Glyph of Rebirth and Glyph of Shred are both worth considering.
Minor: Whatever you like.
Feral Druid enchants and item enhancements
You should almost always use a profession enhancement item if it provides appropriate stats instead of a general enchant.
- Shoulder – Greater Tiger Claw Inscription
- Cloak – Accuracy or Superior Critical Strike, depending on if you’re at hit cap.
- Chest – Glorious Stats
- Wrist – Greater Agility
- Hands – Superior Expertise
- Belt – Living Steel Belt Buckle
- Legs – Shadowleather Leg Armor
- Feet – Blurred Speed
- Weapon – Enchant Weapon – Dancing Steel
If you want more kitty info, here you go:
- Alaron the Fluid Druid hosts an excellent Feral PvE guide
- Icy Veins are good on everything, including Feral Druids
- Finally, as a WoW player, you should really check out the latest and greatest from the blogosphere on World of Warcraft, here at the Melting Pot.
If you’ve found this article useful, please consider sharing it using the buttons below!