Fluffy’s got a target! Yes, WoW Patch 5.4 and Mists of Pandaria brings Garrosh in range of Fluffy’s claws and teeth! So, let’s not waste any time – we’ll get your talents, glyphs, stats, reforging and gems, and ability rotation set up in no time in MoP, so you can let Fluffy out to play before he chews through the bars of his cage…
Updated 17th September 2013 to World of Warcraft Patch 5.4
Beast Mastery changes in Patch 5.4
Some changes to our talents, that’s about it.
Beast Mastery “Rotation” and Priorities
Always Misdirect onto the tank at the start of any pull. Fluffy is awesome, but you still don’t want him tanking a raid boss.
When starting to attack any target, put Hunter’s Mark and Serpent Sting up on them. You shouldn’t subsequently have to refresh either.
- Top Priority: If Kill Command is available, use it. If Kill Shot is available, use it.
- Second Priority: If the Focus Fire icon is glowing (your pet is at 5 stacks of Frenzy), use it. If Serpent Sting has dropped, recast it.
- Third Priority: If you’ve got 70 Focus or more, cast Arcane Shot. Otherwise, cast Cobra Shot.
For less than 4 opponents, perform your single-target rotation but use Multi-Shot to keep up Beast Cleave as a high priority.
Against 4 or more opponents:
- Top Priority: Place an Explosive Trap under your opponents with Trap Launcher, if one’s not already running.
- Second Priority: Fire Kill Shot if it’s available. If not, fire Multi-Shot.
- Third Priority: Fire Cobra Shot.
- Rapid Fire and Bestial Wrath – Use whenever they’re available.
- Stampede – Use whenever it’s available.
- Feign Death – See that thing chewing on your leg? Use this to stop that happening. Voted #2 ability Most Often Forgotten By Hunters (after Misdirect).
- Disengage – Leap backward – useful in a wide variety of situations.
- Deterrance – Powerful defensive CD – most often useful if Feign Death is on cooldown or didn’t work!
Keep Aspect of the Hawk up.
Remember, you can bring a variety of buffs to your party or raid by bringing different pets. If you’re raiding, ask your raid leader what she/he would prefer.
Beast Mastery Hunter Talent Choices
Tiers 4 and 5 are just The Best Choice for all Hunters right now. For the other tiers, this is a good starting build, but do experiment to find your personal preferred choices:
- Tier 1: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera
- Tier 2: Silencing Shot – gives you a spell interrupt ability.
- Tier 3: Aspect of the Iron Hawk
- Tier 4: Dire Beast – DPS cooldown. Use whenever available.
- Tier 5: Blink Strikes
- Tier 6: Glaive Toss – use whenever it’s available.
Stats, reforging and gemming for Beast Mastery Hunters
Bad news – we need Hit AND Expertise now.
Stats order: Agility > Hit (until capped at 2550 / 7.5%) and Expertise (until capped at 2550 / 7.5%) > Critical Strike > Haste > Mastery
Reforging: Reforge for Hit and Expertise cap, then reforge for Crit. Reforge from excess Hit and Expertise first, then Mastery, then Haste.
Gems: Delicate (Agility) gems in Red sockets, Deadly (Crit/Agi) in Yellow sockets, Glinting (Hit/Agi) in blue sockets.
Meta Gem: Agile meta gems.
Beast Mastery Glyphs
There’s a lot of choice in Glyphs now, and none of them are really mandatory. However, here’s a good starting build:
Major: Glyph of Animal Bond, Glyph of Liberation, Glyph of Deterrence.
Minor: Glyph of Aspect of the Cheetah is great, as is Glyph of Fetch – with the latter, your pet can loot for you!
Beast Mastery Hunter enchants and item enhancements
You should almost always use a profession enhancement item if it provides appropriate stats instead of a general enchant.
- Shoulder – Greater Tiger Claw Inscription
- Cloak – Accuracy or Superior Critical Strike, depending on if you’re at hit cap.
- Chest – Glorious Stats
- Wrist – Greater Agility
- Hands – Superior Expertise
- Belt – Living Steel Belt Buckle
- Legs – Shadowleather Leg Armor
- Feet – Blurred Speed
- Ranged – Lord Blastington’s Scope of Doom
If you want to get into more detail with your Beast Mastery play:
- Icy Veins have a good Beast Mastery Hunter guide – more detail on ability usage and talents in particular
- Warcraft Hunter’s Union is a great source for all Hunters – here’s their MoP guide
- You should really check out the latest and greatest from the blogosphere on World of Warcraft, here at the Melting Pot.
If you’ve found this article useful, please consider sharing it using the buttons below!