Beast Mastery Hunter Quick-Start Guide For WoW Patch 5.4 – Stats, talents and spec, glyphs, rotation, reforging and gems, and ability priorities

by on August 29, 2012

Fluffy’s got a target! Yes, WoW Patch 5.4 and Mists of Pandaria brings Garrosh in range of Fluffy’s claws and teeth! So, let’s not waste any time – we’ll get your talents, glyphs, stats, reforging and gems, and ability rotation set up in no time in MoP, so you can let Fluffy out to play before he chews through the bars of his cage…

Updated 17th September 2013 to World of Warcraft Patch 5.4

Beast Mastery changes in Patch 5.4

Some changes to our talents, that’s about it.

Beast Mastery “Rotation” and Priorities

Always Misdirect onto the tank at the start of any pull. Fluffy is awesome, but you still don’t want him tanking a raid boss.

Single-target DPS

When starting to attack any target, put Hunter’s Mark and Serpent Sting up on them. You shouldn’t subsequently have to refresh either.

• Top Priority: If Kill Command is available, use it. If Kill Shot is available, use it.
  • Second Priority: If the Focus Fire icon is glowing (your pet is at 5 stacks of Frenzy), use it. If Serpent Sting has dropped, recast it.
  • Third Priority: If you’ve got 70 Focus or more, cast Arcane Shot. Otherwise, cast Cobra Shot.

AOE DPS

For less than 4 opponents, perform your single-target rotation but use Multi-Shot to keep up Beast Cleave as a high priority.

Against 4 or more opponents:

• Top Priority: Place an Explosive Trap under your opponents with Trap Launcher, if one’s not already running.
  • Second Priority: Fire Kill Shot if it’s available. If not, fire Multi-Shot.
  • Third Priority: Fire Cobra Shot.

Cooldowns

• Rapid Fire and Bestial Wrath – Use whenever they’re available.
  • Stampede – Use whenever it’s available.
  • Feign Death – See that thing chewing on your leg? Use this to stop that happening. Voted #2 ability Most Often Forgotten By Hunters (after Misdirect).
  • Disengage – Leap backward – useful in a wide variety of situations.
  • Deterrance – Powerful defensive CD – most often useful if Feign Death is on cooldown or didn’t work!

Buffs

Keep Aspect of the Hawk up.

Remember, you can bring a variety of buffs to your party or raid by bringing different pets. If you’re raiding, ask your raid leader what she/he would prefer.

Beast Mastery Hunter Talent Choices

Tiers 4 and 5 are just The Best Choice for all Hunters right now. For the other tiers, this is a good starting build, but do experiment to find your personal preferred choices:

• Tier 1: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera
  • Tier 2: Silencing Shot – gives you a spell interrupt ability.
  • Tier 3: Aspect of the Iron Hawk
  • Tier 4: Dire Beast – DPS cooldown. Use whenever available.
  • Tier 5: Blink Strikes
  • Tier 6: Glaive Toss – use whenever it’s available.

Stats, reforging and gemming for Beast Mastery Hunters

Bad news – we need Hit AND Expertise now.

Stats order: Agility > Hit (until capped at 2550 / 7.5%) and Expertise (until capped at 2550 / 7.5%) > Critical Strike > Haste > Mastery

Reforging: Reforge for Hit and Expertise cap, then reforge for Crit. Reforge from excess Hit and Expertise first, then Mastery, then Haste.
Gems: Delicate (Agility) gems in Red sockets, Deadly (Crit/Agi) in Yellow sockets, Glinting (Hit/Agi) in blue sockets.
Meta Gem: Agile meta gems.

Beast Mastery Glyphs

There’s a lot of choice in Glyphs now, and none of them are really mandatory. However, here’s a good starting build:

Major: Glyph of Animal Bond, Glyph of Liberation, Glyph of Deterrence.
Minor: Glyph of Aspect of the Cheetah is great, as is Glyph of Fetch – with the latter, your pet can loot for you!

Beast Mastery Hunter enchants and item enhancements

You should almost always use a profession enhancement item if it provides appropriate stats instead of a general enchant.

• Shoulder – Greater Tiger Claw Inscription
  • Cloak – Accuracy or Superior Critical Strike, depending on if you’re at hit cap.
  • Chest – Glorious Stats
  • Wrist – Greater Agility
  • Hands – Superior Expertise
  • Belt – Living Steel Belt Buckle
  • Legs – Shadowleather Leg Armor
  • Feet – Blurred Speed
  • Ranged – Lord Blastington’s Scope of Doom

Links

If you want to get into more detail with your Beast Mastery play:

If you’ve found this article useful, please consider sharing it using the buttons below!

If you enjoyed this article, check out our other posts from these categories: Archives

Tamhais August 31, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Thank ye!

Mehana September 5, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Best Guide for 5.0! Thank you.

Tor October 2, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Great, tanks a lot!

Chris October 7, 2012 at 2:37 am

Yes was just wondering about the current secondary Stat Priority…..I am currently going with Critical Strike>=Mastery>Haste…but have seen a lot of other sites saying it should be Mastery>Critical Strike>Haste…just wondering your thoughts on this?

Hugh Hancock October 8, 2012 at 11:58 am

Go with Mastery > Crit > Haste. That’s the endgame priority right now – it took a week or so for the theorycraft to shake down, but it’s correct, particularly because of the synergy between Crit and Mastery.

I’m updating the guide right now so hopefully no-one else will be confused – thanks!

Ahuntertoo March 21, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Is this stat priority recommendation still accurate in 5.2?

Hugh Hancock March 25, 2013 at 2:47 pm

No, in 5.2 you want Crit>Haste>Mastery, it seems. I’ve updated the guide to that effect.

Hunterho November 16, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Great read very informative

Celeggur November 29, 2012 at 8:30 am

Something to note for all hunters. Aspect of the Hawk / Ironhawk has been buffed to 15% AP. Up from 10%. The tooltip still says 10% but it has been increased. Hotfix to patch 5.1.

Hugh Hancock November 29, 2012 at 9:29 am

Awesome – thanks for the heads-up!

Pash December 18, 2012 at 12:33 am

So why have the stats switched and why haven’t the other sites reported it?

TOTH January 22, 2013 at 1:24 am

Dire Beast over Thrill of the hunt? Never………………

Romeu March 10, 2013 at 6:05 am

agree with that… if arcane shot is priority, then thrill of the hunt would be much better.

Wonton March 28, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Under section titled, “Beast Mastery Hunter enchants and item enhancements,” add:
Rings: Greater Agility
*This enchant adds +160 agility to each ring.

Jarry April 16, 2013 at 2:29 am

What about Spirit Bond? I thought it was great for BM

Jesira October 21, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Quick question as I do not see “Silencing Shot” I see Binding Shot, Wyvern Sting and Intimidation. I’m assuming they just renamed it recently and this has not been updated on your end? Thank you! :) BTW Your advice and tips is extremely helpful and very easy and clear for someone who struggles with understanding gaming lingo, appreciate and much love to you for your hard work! :)

Jesira October 22, 2013 at 6:18 am

For Tier 2: I only show Binding Shot and Wyvern Sting and Intimidation. Could you clarify if one of these is Silencing Shot? Also please know that your guides for stats and all this stuff is a HUGE GODSEND to me. Thank you so much <3

Whispering Summers November 4, 2013 at 1:37 am

Hi Jesira, I came here for the same reason (and I am a big fan of these quick start guides too!). None of the three that are in the 2nd tier are the same as Silencing Shot, so I think this must have been a change in one of the updates. I would recommend Intimidation for a Beast Master hunter, maybe one of the others if you were planning on doing a lot of solo work. Wyvern Sting looks like a way to knock out the target for 30 sec and Binding Shot locks mobs in place.

Justin February 7, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Hello all, for the first time ever I think you may have made a rather large mistake in your rotation suggestions. I apologize for being so blunt but you can not “Second Priority: If the Focus Fire icon is glowing (your pet is at 5 stacks of Frenzy), use it.” If you do you will loose more dps than you gain from the haste buff. You would be better off telling people to not use it all rather than hitting it as soon as you get to 5 stacks. If you use frenzy before or during Beastial Wrath, your dps will drop. Using it as suggested will lower your dps. The dps gain has always been marginal (around 1.3% if memory serves me) when used “properly”. When used as soon as you hit 5 stack w/o keeping Bestial wrath in mind is incorrect. I know this is a quick start guide, but you need a disclaimer in there to expand your thoughts on this ability.
Go to a dummie and test it out. Try not using it at all, then try hitting it as soon as you get to 5 stacks. I bet your dps is high not using it at all.

camisetas futbol baratas 2014 February 12, 2014 at 8:01 am

http://cli.gs/ecigaretteuk3459 April 15, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I take pleasure in, lead to I found just what I used to be
having a look for. You have ended my four day long hunt!
God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

les drôles de poissons-chats télécharger April 20, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Amazing! Its really amazing article, I have got much clear idea about from this piece of
writing.

les zévadés de l'espace télécharger April 20, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I quite like looking through an article that can make men and women think.
Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

melt your man's heart review July 1, 2014 at 3:34 am

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed!
Very useful info specifically the last part :
) I care for such information a lot. I was looking for this particular info for a very long
time. Thank you and best of luck.

Christen September 8, 2014 at 4:40 am

If some one wantss to be updated with most up-to-date
technologies then he must be visit this site and be up to date daily.

Dominga September 8, 2014 at 10:56 am

Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.

Is it very difficult to set up your own blog?
I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out prewtty fast.
I’m thinking about setting up my owwn but I’m not sure where to start.
Do you have any points or suggestions? With thanks

Augustus September 12, 2014 at 1:37 am

It’s actually very complicated in this busy life to listen news on TV,
so I simply use internet for that reason, and get the
most up-to-date information.

Sherry September 12, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Very energetic article, I liked that bit. Will there be
a part 2?

app.box.com September 13, 2014 at 5:49 am

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
You obviously know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence
on just posting videos to your weblog when you could
be giving us something enlightening to read?

Octavio September 13, 2014 at 6:03 am

Amazing issues here. I am very satisfied to peer your article.
Thanks a lot and I’m looking forward to touch you. Will
you please drop me a mail?

Latisha September 14, 2014 at 9:39 pm

If you desire to increase your know-how simply keep visiting this web site and be
updated with the newest gossip posted here.

Darrell September 19, 2014 at 10:11 pm

It’s an amazing piece of writing for all the internet visitors; they will obtain benefit from it I am sure.

Annetta September 20, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Just desire to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your
post is just spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this subject.
Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.
Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.

Maisie September 25, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous
to and you’re just extremely great. I actually like what
you’ve acquired here, really like what you are stating and
the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and
you still care for to keep it smart. I can’t
wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous website.

Brandy September 26, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Hi! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which
blog platform are you using for this site?
I’m getting tired of Wordpress because I’ve had
problems with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another
platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

box.com September 29, 2014 at 1:04 am

I read this article completely on the topic of the comparison of
newest and earlier technologies, it’s awesome article.

Wesley September 30, 2014 at 5:31 am

Wow, that’s what I was seeking for, what a material!

present here at this blog, thanks admin of this site.