It’s a beta-splosion. It’s been beta-dacious. It’s a betapocalypse. I’m referring, of course, to this weekend, where there were not one, not two, but three simultaneous open-ish betas running for MMO-ish games – Blizzard sorta-WoW-lite dungeon hacker Diablo 3, now-with-dubious-upskirt-shots Asian MMO TERA, and it’s-not-open-beta-but-might-as-well-be WoW expansion Mists of Pandaria.
Want to know what the finest minds of the blogosphere thought of each of the three contenders? Read on!
- Keen and Graev barely even made it past the login screen.
- Blessing of Kings’ Rohan says “Diablo 3 is, well, pretty much Diablo.”.
- Effraeti’s really impressed, and shares her impressions in a screenshot-filled post.
- Spinks found that Diablo 3 is pretty much identical to Diablo, but found it fun, if posessing some very odd character art
- Azuriel of In An Age is now considerably less convinced Diablo 3 is a must-have.
- The Diablo beta, and its online nature, made Paeroka order Torchlight 2 instead.
- Chris at Level Capped was surprisingly entertained by TERA.
- Game By Night isn’t equivocating at all – they offer 6 reasons to avoid TERA.
- Pete at Dragonchasers damned it with faint praise, saying “my feeling right now is that Tera would make a great F2P game.”.
- Tobold managed a few hours before he couldn’t stand TERA – or any standard MMO quest gameplay – any more.
Mists of Pandaria Classes
- Tzufit of Tree Heals Go Whoosh tried out a low-level Mistweaver monk, and ended up finding their spells to be a pretty wierd system.
- Oestrus of Stories of O writes a lengthy roundup on Holy Priests, noting amongst other things that triage healing is back again.
- Stormy tried out a Shadow Priest, and was confused by hit rating, slightly dismayed by pseudo-combo-points, and uncertain about having less self-heals.
Found this roundup interesting? Please do share it with your friends!