Will SW:TOR’s demons overcome its better angels?

by on December 19, 2011

The SW:TOR reactions continue to come in, and as they do so, it’s becoming apparent that we’ve got a truly fascinating, complex game here – complex not just in terms of what it gets right and where it innovates, but also in terms of what it gets wrong and what it doesn’t.

There’s a lot of debate on the blogosphere at the start of the week as to whether SW:TOR will manage to overcome its weaknesses with its obvious strengths, or whether, in the end, its demons will drag it down:

• Gordon at We Fly Spitfires discusses what he believes is SW:TOR’s biggest flaw: the imbalance of character classes“Simply put, everyone is playing the same darn class (Advanced or otherwise)… and I don’t just mean by a small percentage either, I’m talking about by a frickin’ massive degree. I think for every one Vanguard I’ve encountered, I’ve seen about 20 Commandos and I’m not even sure the Smuggler class exists.”
  • Syp at Bio Break gives us five things he likes about SW:TOR and five – well, four – things that he doesn’t“ This may just be where I’m at right now, but it seems as though my companion and me barely talk. We’ve had two in-game conversations over the course of an entire week, but other than that she barely butts in during mission conversations or wants to chat. “
  • Gazimoff’s initial impression of SW:TOR’s crew skills (crafting) is that they’re a broken mess“The Artifice crew skill has 1144 different items that your companions can learn how to make. About two thirds of those are minor upgrades that could be removed immediately without any impact on the game.”
  • The Noisy Rogue believes that SW:TOR is an excellent… single-player RPG“I’m sure that everyone playing the game is having a great time, but while doing that they are ruthlessly chewing through content in a game format that was out of date three years ago. I’m having a great time in Skyrim as well, but there’s no way I’m going to be playing it in three months time. “
  • Pete at Dragonchasers is playing SW:TOR despite saying he wouldn’t – and so far, despite encountering problems, he’s glad he didn’t cancel his pre-order“That’s all balanced out by the joy of wading into a crowd of mobs, flinging a grenade then diving to cover to use my high damage skills to finish off the baddies while my Companion tanks. Combat in this game is just plain FUN in a way I find hard to quantify.”
  • And finally, Syncaine explains just why he wants – yes, actively wants – SW:TOR to fail, and why he believes it will“If the game is a SMASH HIT, George is happy, Bioware is happy, and blasters-to-the-face rolls on. The moment the whole equation stops working, bad things happen, and quickly.”

What do you think? Will SW:TOR stay the distance?

If you enjoyed this article, check out our other posts from these categories: Star Wars: The Old Republic

SoundsAV December 19, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Funny thing is several of them contradict each other…one hates crafting, the other loves the crafting missions. One loves the voice acting one doesn’t…One hates the fact that you cant change advanced classes, one says hes glad you cant…

Hugh Hancock December 19, 2011 at 7:16 pm

@SoundsAV – I agree! SW:TOR is clearly a very complex game to evaluate – that’s why this topic is so fascinating…

SoundsAV December 19, 2011 at 7:49 pm

@Hugh Hancock – I have to say that so far I really like it…my only problem has been picking what I want to play long term..Sith Juggernaut until lvl 12 then Bounty Hunter till 13…Thinking Im going to settle on my Sith Assassin …

There are a few things I dont like…the fact that in doing a bit of RP I sometimes add LS or DS points I dont want. Playing my Assassin as the former slaves that looks down on the “highborne” Sith lords and is all about personal power but has a soft spot for those downtrodden like he was…the conversation choices do give me an opportunity to RP in a single-player mode that I have never really done before. And Khem Val is the greatest companion ever…I love when I tell him to eat them both!

Shintar December 19, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Considering how many MMOs in the last couple of years have been off to great starts and then bombed, I think it’s hard to make predictions for SWTOR – but personally it has gripped me like no game has since WoW. Of course it’s not perfect, but you can really feel the passion behind it and the world draws you right in. I think the fact that it helps you develop a real attachment to your character, and quickly, counts for a lot more than things like the details of the UI, talent points or crafting.

SoundsAV December 19, 2011 at 8:37 pm

@Shintar – Couldnt agree more…attachment happens quickly but they have to put in a UI scale slider!

Paul December 20, 2011 at 2:58 am

I found this was a game that, once I put it down, I had a hard time picking it up again. I haven’t logged in for 2 1/2 days now.

SoundsAV December 20, 2011 at 7:38 pm

@Paul – To me I had that same feeling with Rift and LOTRO

Wesley Quigg December 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I played the game in beta and it is an ok game but a big part of me hopes it fails since in LA’s greed they killed a long-running and much better Star Wars game. I am of course talking about Star Wars Galaxies. It was a sad day on Dec 14th when SWG closed its dorrs. When TPR was announced they guaranteed that SWG would continue and we would be able to play both Star Wars MMOs but then the greedy bastards at EA and LA went back on that promise and cancelled the best MMO out there. A sandbox game where you could play the game the way you wanted to and level how you wanted to. You weren’t forced to fight, crafting actually meant something as every item was different depending on the resources used. You had player cities and space was open where you could go where you wanted to not fly on rails. We had a thriving community and player-drive economy. TOR is just WoW with a Star Wars skin. It can be fun for a couple of months but will grow old quickly, just like WoW. I have played WoW since beta but can only stay interested for a few months before I leave, SWG kept me interested for the entire 8 years and my subscription stayed active the entire time (all 4 of them). I hope TOR does poorly and LA will wise up and bring SWG back as an f2p game. Otherwise, they will lose a lot of money as they have done for the last few months since it was announced that SWG was closing.