Tyrael’s Charger – what the new WoW mount looks like, where to get it, and who exactly Tyrael is

by on October 22, 2011

In amongst the excitement at Blizzcon 2011 this year, one announcement hasn’t gotten as much attention as we might have expected – there’s a new flying mount available to buy for World of Warcraft. Tyrael’s Charger is an angelic, winged horse, and it can be yours for –

Wait, what?

Yep, that’s right. The only way to get the Horse With Wings currently is to buy an annual subscription to World of Warcraft.

The Charger

Youtube Video:

(from MMO Champion)

The Charger is, fairly obviously, a successor to the Celestial Steed, aka the Sparklepony. So far, all we have of it is this one image, from which the most distinctive aspect are its angel wings. We don’t know yet, but I’d guess that they will ripple rather than flap, as Tyrael’s wings do in Diablo.

Less obviously, you can see the horse also has a glowing angelic mane (for art nerds, both the wings and the mane are produced with an additive texture – the same trick WoW uses in many other places to create glowing swords and ghosts, and the Sparklepony itself). Unless there have been some artistic liberties taken with the picture, it’s also pretty damn big – the night elf on its back looks about the same size as she would on a dragon mount, not a normal horse.

Beyond that, we’ve got the standard Blizzard “Holy” gold armour, unsprisingly given its presumed angelic origins. The horse itself is pretty heavy-set – we’re looking at a warhorse here, not something nimble and light.

Personally, I’m not nearly convinced by it as a mount – the wings are attractive, but the rest of it feels too much like a Paladin steed with some fancy dress wings tacked on. However, that may all change when we see more of it – if handled right, it could have an unstoppable feel, and be a great mount for any character in the priest/paladin line.

I can’t see it ever fitting a Rogue, though!

Want to stay up to date?

Want to stay up to date with what's happening in the world of WoW and other MMOs?

Subscribe to the Melting Pot on Twitter or by a feedreader (Google Reader or others) to learn about everything that's going on in the MMORPG world, before it goes mainstream.

How to get the flying horse

Currently, there’s only one way to get Tyrael’s Charger – by buying an annual subscription to WoW, which will also get you a free copy of Diablo III and access to the Mists of Pandaria beta.

When do you get the Charger? As soon as Patch 4.3 drops, it’ll turn up in your mail. You’ll get it for all characters at the same time.

It’s expensive, but is it a good deal? Well, that very much depends on how sure you are that you’re going to be playing WoW in the next year (and, of course, if you’re interested in Diablo). This seems like a pretty impressive offer for Blizzard to make, and is leading to some speculation that there might be a reason they expect a lot of people to unsubscribe in the next year, beyond the looming shadow of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Will Sparklepony 2.0 ever be available another way? Probably, but likely not for a while. Blizzard are pushing the Annual Offer hard, and are likely to keep it up for a while. I’d expect Tyrael’s Charger to become available in the Blizzard store after Diablo III’s launch, but not before.

So what’s the backstory to Tyrael’s Charger?

Oddly, this mount has nothing to do with WoW at all. Instead, it’s a reference to the Archangel Tyrael in the Diablo lore – presumably to tie in with the Diablo III ramp-up that’s happening now.

In the Diablo universe, Tyrael essentially represents the side of good opposed to the evil of Diablo. He’s an Archangel who leads the Heavenly Host, and appears to you as the player character in the final act of Diablo II, giving you the quest to defeat Diablo himself. You can see him in action at 0:35 in this video – it’s pretty easy to see where the Steed got its wings.

Tyrael in Diablo II

This isn’t Tyrael’s first appearance in WoW – rather undignifiedly for an Archangel, he also made an appearance as a minipet a couple of years ago, Mini Tyrael.

His role in Diablo III is unknown at the moment, but it’s speculated that he’ll play a major role, possibly as a fallen angel opposing the rest of the Angelic Council.

All of this leaves just one piece of missing information about Tyrael’s steed – why would someone who can fly need a horse?

If you found this article interesting, please consider sharing it using the buttons below:

If you enjoyed this article, check out our other posts from these categories: Archives

Eric Abbot October 23, 2011 at 9:05 pm

So when you subscribe to the year and successfully gain the rewards, when exactly are you able to mount up on this beast in Game?

Joe O'Connor October 23, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I’ve just signed up on a month to month rolling basis since I’m sure I’ll be playing for the next year and pay that way anyway, so the mount, Diablo III and beta testing are pretty good in return for doing the same as I have been!

You get the mount mailed to you when Patch 4.3 goes live.

Hugh Hancock October 24, 2011 at 11:35 am

@Joe O’Connor – Thanks – I’ve added the info on when you get the mount. I must admit, I’m surprised it’s not available already – I guess they haven’t finished the art yet.

xanthim October 25, 2011 at 3:59 am

so what if you have more than 1 character, will you get it on all characters?

Sp00nytube October 25, 2011 at 5:06 am

I doubt that the wings will have a “ripple” effect like Tyrael’s avatar in Diablo. Simply based on previous WoW mounts that have followed similar styled mounts.

The Celestial Steed animation was mapped to Invincible (or vise versa) and I’d put money on this mount also being same deal.

Can’t wait to get this bad boy in the mail! Will look great with my Ret Pally in Transmogrophied gear!

Hugh Hancock October 25, 2011 at 11:12 am

@xanthim – Yep, you’ll get it on all characters. Adding that to the article!

@Sp00nytube – There may have been some wishful thinking going on there! I can still hope, though – all depends how much development budget the’ve put into it.

asscheecks October 26, 2011 at 2:05 am

when 4.3 goes live

Cormanthyr October 26, 2011 at 6:36 am

@Eric Abbot – You get it upon release of patch 4.3 of WoW, The fall of Deathwing

Elkagorasa October 28, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Now, the AP, isn’t something to purchase. It’s a subscription where you promise to continue paying for the next year. Since I was paying on a 6mo schedule, it simply took that info and added it to my AP. My renewal happens again in November. Even so, my AP expires October 2012.

justc25 October 30, 2011 at 3:59 am

So im gonna say it probably works the same as the celestial steed where if you start a new character you get it right then but i just wanted to know if anyone was sure or not.

Synthiaa November 29, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I signed up for the Annual Pass as soon as they mentioned Diablo would be free upon it’s release. I love WoW, but Diablo will be a nice break. Being a mount fiend in WoW, when they mentioned Tyrael’s Charger – done deal.

Synthiaa November 29, 2011 at 6:07 pm

@asscheecks – As of today, 11/29/11.

David November 29, 2011 at 6:22 pm

The horse is Tyrael’s charger because it is in fact completely identical to Tyrael himself. Whatever flaws or disapproval you see throw them out the window. This horse is Tyrael. This is exactly what and wow and diablo fan should want in a mount called Tyrael’s Charger.

Lasse November 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm

do you have to buy 12 months of wow subscription, or just 1 month at a time ?

Hugh Hancock November 30, 2011 at 5:34 pm

@Lasse – You have to sign up for a 12-month contract, but only pay one month at a time.

Morghan November 30, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I’m pretty sure this was a limited offer and had to be signed up for before Oct 18th, 2011. The annual pass is still available, but the bonuses I thought were time limited.

Clifford December 1, 2011 at 2:20 am

I thought so too but I just signed up like last week to reactivate my account, and I got tyrael’s charger so apparently you just had to have a full fledged account by oct 18, not even an active one.

Nova Argnon December 1, 2011 at 2:29 am

So i did this about 2 days ago, and still havent gotten the mount? :(

Yoruichi December 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Soo just making sure, It’s acc bound and all your chars get it?

Clifford December 2, 2011 at 12:59 am

@Nova Argnon – Have you been a paying member anytime before 18 Oct, and have you checked your mail?

Alfred December 29, 2013 at 8:34 am

This is because during a major power outage, there might also be problems with the FM
and AM stations, and they might not be able to broadcast as they
have been. An interesting tidbit: Due to the Titanic disaster of 1912, all ships were required
to have radios with 2 operators and auxiliary power and all transmitters must be licensed.
In the design of this two way radio the fact that it is like a wrist watch makes it unique earning it the
name ‘spy two way radio’.

Amos December 30, 2013 at 10:50 am

Google Adsense is an adverting revenue sharing program by Google that any website owners can put Google ads in their websites and can earn revenue from Google for
successful promotion. If I tell you that these websites are
not the best and mostly visited, but they are ranked on the front
page of Google by the effort of marketing teams of those websites.

Placing your company on Google Places is a fairly easy process but by hiring
our Springfield MO team for SEO and Web design, we will make sure that Google Places is integrated and getting you customer interactions, in addition to all the
correct information being inputted.

reciepe.com how do you make cornbread January 5, 2014 at 4:36 am

My enhanced confidence inspired me to conquer the art of frying chicken.
Especially great for dishes that can defrost
during the morning and be eaten at room temperature.
Conventional nail polish removers made with acetone and other dangerous chemicals make the simple task of washing away those bright reds, soft peaches, and radiant pinks a rather toxic affair.

Ezequiel January 15, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?
There’s a lot of peokple that I think would really enjoy your content.
Please llet mme know. Many thanks

Graciela January 15, 2014 at 11:34 pm

If you want to grow your know-how just keep visiting this web sife and
be updated with the newest news posted here.

Nellie January 20, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to
and you are just extremely excellent. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you’restating
and the way in whihh you say it. You make it enjoyable and you stilkl take care of to keep it smart.
I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is acrually a wonderul web site.