Want to get busy afflicting pain and agony on the monsters / other players of the world, but don’t know how to start being an affliction warlock after patch 4.3? Don’t worry. We’ve got the basics of affliction – talent spec, glyphs, gems and reforging, enchants, and of course priorities – covered here so you can be
petting fluffy bunnies smiting your opponents in no time at all.
Updated Feb 22nd 2012 for Patch 4.3
Patch 4.3 changes for Affliction Warlocks
Not much has changed in ‘flick land with this patch. Soul Fire has had a small buff (but we don’t really use it anyway), and Shadow Bolt has a new graphic, but that’s about it.
Our tier 13 set bonuses are fun. The 2-piece simply gives us more fun times with our Doomguard or Infernal, but our 4-piece tier bonus changes our rotation fundementally. When we achieve 4T13, we should use Soulburn with Soul Fire whenever it’s available.
Affliction warlock rotation
Affliction Warlocks don’t use a strict rotation – instead, they use a priority system. So, cast the spell nearest the top of the list that’s off cooldown:
Single target: Haunt > Demon Soul > Bane of Doom > Corruption > Unstable Affliction > Drain Soul (if target is below 25% health) > Shadowflame > Shadow Bolt
- Always use Haunt and Demon Soul whenever they’ve cooled down.
- Keep Bane of Doom, Corruption and Unstable Affliction up on the target at all times.
- Make sure to use Curse of Elements if another class isn’t providing an identical debuff (CoE is also covered by Unholy DKs, Mut rogues and Boomkin.)
Two targets: Get your DoTs on a target them use (glyphed) soul swap to transfer them to the other.
Three or more targets: Use Soulburn: Seed of Corruption.
Remember to keep Dark Intent up on a healer (if you’re on progression) or other DPS (if you’re on farm content). Use your Doomguard for single-target fights or your Infernal for AOE fights, during burn phases.
Want to stay up to date?
Want to stay up to date with what's happening in the world of WoW and other MMOs?
Affliction talent spec
- Standard talent build for level 85 Affliction warlock in Patch 4.3 – uses Shadow Bolts as a filler.
Which warlock demon should I use?
Like most WoW warlock builds, you should use the Fel Hunter.
Stats, reforging and gems as an Affliction warlock
Stats order: Intellect > Hit (until hit capped at 1742 /17%) > Haste > Critical Strike Rating > Mastery
- Reforge Mastery and Critical Strike Rating into Hit until hit capped, then everything into Haste. If you can’t reforge to Haste reforge to Critical Strike Rating.
- Gem for intellect (Brilliant Inferno Ruby). Use split intellect/haste (Reckless Ember Topaz) in yellow sockets or split Intellect/Hit (Veiled Demonseye) in blue sockets in the socket bonus is +20 Int or +30 of another stat or more.
Affliction Warlock enchants
Remember to check if your profession enchants are better! (Check the stat weights above – it’s likely to be pretty obvious if so).
|Head||Arcanum of Hyjal|
|Shoulders||Greater Inscription of Charged Lodestone|
|Back||Enchant Cloak – Greater Intellect|
|Chest||Enchant Chest – Peerless Stats|
|Wrist||Enchant Bracer – Mighty Intellect|
|Hands||Enchant Gloves – Haste|
|Belt||Ebonsteel Belt Buckle|
|Legs||Powerful Ghostly Spellthread|
|Feet||Enchant Boots – Lavawalker|
|Weapon||Enchant Weapon – Power Torrent|
|Off-Hand Weapon||Enchant Weapon – Superior Intellect|
Minor: Glyph of Drain Soul and user’s choice.
- Killing em Slowly – warlock blog with Affliction resources
- Cynwise has some fantastic Warlock resources.
- Affliction in Cataclysm – Elitist Jerks – not updated to 4.3 yet.
- WoW Insider’s warlock section
Did you find this guide useful? If so, please consider sharing it! You can find Twitter, Google+ and Facebook buttons below.