This guide is now out of date – so get the latest info on Affliction Warlock talent specs, glyphs, reforging and gems, and rotations in Patch 4.2 instead!
Want to get busy afflicting pain and agony on the monsters of the world before Cataclysm, but don’t know how to start being an affliction warlock after patch 4.1? Don’t worry. We’ve got the basics of affliction covered here so you can be off petting fluffy bunnies smiting your opponents in no time.
Affliction warlock rotation:
Single target: Haunt > Demon Soul > Bane of Doom > Corruption > Unstable Affliction > Drain Soul (if target is below 25% health) > Shadowflame > Shadow Bolt/Drain Life
- Always use Haunt and Demon Soul whenever they’ve cooled down.
- Keep Bane of Doom, Corruption and Unstable Affliction up on the target at all times.
Two targets: Get your DoTs on a target them use (glyphed) soul swap to transfer them to the other.
Three or more targets: Use Soulburn: Seed of Corruption.
Affliction talent spec:
- Standard talent build for level 85 Affliction warlock – use this if you use Shadow Bolts to fill in gaps in your rotation
- Alternative talent build for level 85 Affliction warlock – use this if you use Drain Life to fill in gaps in your rotation
Which warlock demon should I use?:
- Fel Hunter.
**Stats, reforging and gems as an Affliction warlock:
Stats order: Intellect > Hit (until hit capped at 1742 /17%) > Haste > Critical Strike Rating > Mastery
- Reforge Mastery and Critical Strike Rating into Hit until hit capped, then everything into Haste. If you can’t reforge to Haste reforge to Critical Strike Rating.
- Gem for intellect and hit until hit capped, then for intellect. Use split intellect/haste in yellow sockets in the socket bonus is worth it – i.e. +20 stat.
Minor: Glyph of Drain Soul
- Killing em Slowly – warlock blog with Affliction resources
- Youtube visual guide for Affliction Warlocks in 4.1
- Warlock Arena Guide on WoWhead forums
- Affliction in Cataclysm – Elitist Jerks
- WoW Insider’s warlock section
- Best in Slot list for Affliction Warlocks
- WoWhead general warlock thread splitting everything warlock into their respective specs (4.1 updated)
Was this guide helpful? Then sign up to get email updates when it’s updated! We keep them updated on a fairly regular basis when we get new information or when patches come in to help you stay on top of your game. Don’t worry – we’re not going to spam you. You’ll only getDemonology -related updates!
_You also might find the rest of MMO Melting Pot interesting – we look for the best articles about WoW and other MMOs and deliver them straight to you, all in one place, right here at MMO Melting Pot._